THE ETERNITY BUREAU

THE ETERNITY BUREAU
COMING TO GET YOU SOON...

Wednesday, 12 March 2014

Douglas Adams: The Monty Python of science fiction?

It would have been Douglas Adams' birthday the other day.  I felt I had to write a few lines to mark day as Adams' was one of the writers to fired my imagination.

As a schoolboy I devoured the Hitchhikers books, delighting in their sense of the absurd and their overflowing imagination.  Adams' wasn't a writer of great flair, he was something more - an ideas fountain.  His books overflowed with witty, smart and sometimes downright odd notions.  He blended the mundane and the amazing so well you couldn't see the stitches. The Monty Python of science fiction? Maybe.  But I like to think of Adams as Adams.  And I'm still not panicking.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment