THE ETERNITY BUREAU

THE ETERNITY BUREAU
COMING TO GET YOU SOON...

Monday, 16 June 2014

a starship is not a dragon

Hello.  Bit of a memory fragment on the blog today:

Go into any bookshop (if you can find one still) or online, and when you look for science fiction books, you'll find them there on the shelf with the fantasy books in some weird forced marriage.

I worked in a bookshop when I was 16 and remember asking the manager why that was.  He shrugged, "Same sort of crowd buy them I suppose. " (I think he just wanted the goths and 'aromatics' at the back of the shop)

He didn't know I avidly liked  science fiction, so I kept it quiet, but I always felt SF and fantasy fans were getting a shoddy deal.  Many, like me, enjoy science fiction , but are not really into fantasy ( and I know  of others who liked fantasy but not SF).  Working in the bookshop, I also saw people buy crime and romance books in one purchase, but I never saw THOSE genres squashed on the same shelf.  And rightly so.

And so it goes today.

I know it's a sales thing.  It's probably a good sales thing or businesses wouldn't do it.  But a starship is not a dragon and a wizard is not a robot. 

Still, as long as we're all reading, no harm done. 

cheers
SK




No comments:

Post a Comment